The District Settings page in Aeries (formerly called District Rules) is used to specify certain rules and settings and control certain functions performed within Aeries at the school or district level. The District Rules page can be found at the District or School level on the Navigation Tree under School Info | Configurations | District Settings. User accounts will need Read permissions to see the District Rules page and Update permissions to be able to make changes to the Rules. Permissions can be given through the Security page under the School Information | District Rules area.
After navigating to School Info | Configurations | District Settings in the District, the following page will display.
To turn on or turn off a District Rule click on the Change button and check or uncheck the appropriate checkbox. After making any changes click on the Save button to save the changes.
Note: Changes made on this page may not take effect for up to 5 minutes due to caching.
Most of the district rules are stored in either the LOC or DPT tables. Each rule will is outlined below, along with the table and field name when relevant.
- Students must be inactive at last school before enrollment at another school. This rule is used to prevent duplicate enrollment in the district. This option is stored in LOC.R1.
- Use STU.TG to determine if a student is inactive at last school when transferring records. If this rule is turned on, the student does not need a leave record in Attendance before the student can be added at another school, and the status field (STU.TG) will be used instead to determine if the student is inactive. This option is stored in LOC.R5.
Transferring (Copy Student) from the District Student Lookup (Multi-Year District Search) requires User to have Student Administer permission. Selecting this rule requires a user to have Student Administer privileges to copy/transfer a student’s records from a different year/database. When this option is enabled, the Copy One icon will be visible on the District Student Lookup page provided the student can be transferred. The Copy One icon will not be visible if the user does not have the STU Administer permissions. The rule setting option is stored in LOC.R9. This rule has no effect on transferring from the Student Demographics page during the "Add" process.
- Assign new student ID numbers from district database only, not from school. Student ID numbers can be assigned from the school or district level. With this setting in place, the starting ID number will come from the number specified under school options at the district level, rather than the school. This option is stored in LOC.R2.
- Automatically populate student photograph (STU.BM) with permanent ID (STU.ID). This setting is not relevant when using the PIC table to store student photos. This option is stored in LOC.R22.
- Default Gender Code. This setting specifies the default gender to use when adding new students. Value can be blank to force the user to select a specific gender when adding new students. This option is stored in LOC.R13, and the specified gender value is stored in LOC.GC.
Student Address Rules
- Next School (STU.NS) is the next grade-level, not next matriculation-level. Aeries Software highly recommends that this option be turned on, so that the next school field is used to hold the school the student should go to next year. If it is turned off, the next school field will only be taken into consideration when the student completes the highest grade level at the school. This rule is considered when addresses are updated, as well as during the rollover. Turning this rule off will cause the next school field to be set to 0 when address changes occur if there is no school for the student to matriculate to (i.e. high school). This option is stored in LOC.R11.
- Do Not update Next School (STU.NS) field on address or grade change. This option is stored in LOC.R12.
- Update of Student Next School Field (STU.NS) requires User to have Student Delete permission. This option is stored in LOC.R14.
- Update of School of Residence Field (STU.RS) requires User to have Student Delete permission. This option is stored in LOC.R15.
Other Student Settings
- Link Primary Contacts (STU.FW / STU.MW) from Emergency Contacts form. This option is stored in LOC.R18.
- Display Verification Pass Code (STU.VPC) on Students form - Student Data 2 (STU) tab. This option is stored in LOC.R19.
- Allow Users With Read Permission to STU to View Verification Pass Code (STU.VPC). This option is stored in the DPT table.
- Update inactive student records when changes are made to active copies of that student. If this rule is selected, changes made to active student records will also change inactive records throughout the database including records in an Inactive school. This option is stored in LOC.R23.
- Update student records when changes are made to pre-enrolled copies of that student. If this rule is selected, changes made to the pre-enrolled records will update the active records. The fields must not be locked on the Define Fields to Sync/Lock form in Aeries Client, in the Lock Field in Pre-Enrolled records column. This option is stored in LOC.R25.
- Request Assigned and Served Days in Assertive Discipline - Administrative Decisions (Dispositions) - If this rule is selected, the Assertive Discipline Dispositions area will provide both Assigned and Served fields to populate for the Disposition information.
- Allow Parents and Students to Preview the new Parent Portal. This will present a pop-up message to Parents/Students when the log in to the Portal asking if they would like to preview the new Portal.
- Do Not Advertise The Mobile Portal App on the Parent Portal. - If this rule is selected, it will hide the area on the portal login page that contains links to the Google Play Store and the iTunes App Store.
- Do NOT Optimize Graduation Status. When this option is selected, the system will not take advantage of the optimization logic that was added to the Aeries Web Version. The Graduation Status Reports will match the reports that Aeries Client Version creates. For more information on the Graduation Status calculation please refer to the following article. This option is stored in the DPT table.
- Use New Career Pathways (CPW) tables instead of old "CTE Pathways (Perkins)" (CTE) table. When this option is selected, a Convert CTE to CPW button will be available. Refer to the Career Pathways documentation for complete details. This option is stored in the DPT table.
- Automatically generate staff IDs. When this option is selected, Staff IDs will be auto-generated based on the highest existing staff ID, rather than requiring the user to specify an ID number. Note: Delete-tagged records are considered when calculating the next highest ID number. This option is stored in the DPT table.
- Allow Transition Grade Reporting Mark Points. When this option is selected a Set Grade-Level Point Defaults button will be available. Users will need Read permission to District Rules and Update permission to the Update Valid Marks security area to use the Set Grade-Level Point Defaults button. Refer to the Grade Reporting Update Valid Marks documentation for complete details. This option is stored in the DPT table.
- Use Advanced Discipline (DIS) Page. This option turns on some additional fields and new features on the Discipline (DIS) page. For additional information, refer to the following article on Advanced Discipline features. This option is stored in the DPT table.
- Show the Demerits field on the Assertive Discipline Page. When this option is selected the Demerits field is available on the Assertive Discipline page and a Total Demerits section is visible on the student's Assertive Discipline page. The Total Demerits section has a cumulative and yearly total of the demerits a student has received.
- Number of Offenses allowed (1-5) by Assertive Discipline record. When this option is selected a district can set the number of offenses that can be entered on each discipline record on the student's Assertive Discipline page. The default amount of offenses is set to 5. If a district has students with 5 offenses and the number is changed to a number lower than 5, the record will only display the allowed numbers of offenses.
- Use Financials (Instead of Fees and Fines). Enabling this option will remove all "Fee" pages and reports from the navigation menu. This could be used by districts who wish to use Aeries Financials exclusively. This option is stored in the DPT table.
- Disable School Based Attendance Letters. When this option is selected, the school based Attendance Letters will be disabled in View All Forms (Letter Text Editor) and View All Reports (Attendance Letters to Parents). This option can be selected for districts that only want the District Attendance Letters available.
- Enable ADA Weighting based on Attendance Program. - If this option is selected, ADA Weight values will be able to be defined for Attendance Programs via the Define Attendance Programs page. The ADA Weighting based on Attendance Program is only used on the Monthly Attendance Summary. Refer to the Enable ADA Weighting document for complete details.
- Default State Reporting Field Highlighting to ON. - If this option is selected, all users will have the this option set to ON. Users still can go to their individual settings options and deselect the box to turn the highlighting OFF. This option is stored in the DPT table.
Aeries Analytics Rules
- Student Program Codes (STU.SP) to be excluded from the Analytics process. When selected, specific Student Attendance Program (STU.SP) codes will be excluded from Aeries Analytics processing. The selected options are stored in the DPT table. This option is stored in the DPT table.