Navigate to Student Data > Programs > Independent Study Agreements.
The Independent Study Agreements page allows Independent Study Agreements to be documented by office staff and uploaded into Aeries. A Signatory tab identifies all Stakeholders who will be required to sign the Agreement. Signatory records can be digitally signed by Parents, Students, Teachers and Staff.
|Independent Study Agreements (ISA)||Read|
|View Independent Study Agreements page. View Documents and Signatures.|
Add a new Agreement. Update to ISA is required for Insert to be allowed.
Adjust Agreement options and upload documents
Delete Agreements. Delete documents. Update to ISA is required for Delete to be allowed.
|Independent Study Signatures (ISG)||Read|
|The ability to view ISG signatures and page is associated with read to ISA permissions.|
Insert new records into Signatory tab
View and Access the Signatories tab in Edit mode. Update Signatories and documents.
Delete Signatory records and documents.
|Signing Documents for Portal Groups|
ISG - Read, update
Sign and View Signature
District Setting options must also be enabled.
District Settings ↑
An Allow Digital Signatures option is available that is used in conjunction with the Independent Study Agreements page, so Signatories can digitally sign Agreements. See District Settings for more information.
Configuration of Independent Study Agreements ↑
To create a new Independent Study Agreement, click on Add Agreement.
In the form that opens the Agreement information can be entered.
Agreement Details options
- Status - The Status options in the list are meant to be used progressively as the Agreement is Drafted, Read, and Agreed to by the Parent, Student, Teachers and Staff. This field is Required.
- Draft - This is the beginning phase of the Agreement. Documents are uploaded for Stakeholders to review. When adding an agreement, the status will always default to Draft.
- Pending- Agreement is waiting to be signed. Stakeholders cannot sign until the Agreement is placed in Pending Status. Once any Signatory has signed, if the Status is changed back to Draft for edits or Cancelled Prior to Activation, all existing signatures are deleted. It is important that all signatories are added prior to signing agreements.
- Cancelled Prior to Activation - The Student may have decided not to take Independent Study. Choosing this Status will clear all signatures. This may also be set back to Draft or Pending in order to edit the Agreement.
- Activated- Agreement has been signed and is Active. When all Signatures are complete, the Agreement is automatically Activated and no changes can be made to the Document or Signatures. From this Status the Agreement can only be Revoked. The Add Signatures button is now hidden.
- Revoked- The Agreement has been voided. Perhaps the Student did not fulfill the terms of the Agreement or decided not to continue in the Independent Study program. Once an Agreement is Revoked it cannot be changed, reactivated or deleted. It is kept for historical purposes. A super confirm message will display when an agreement is revoked. To cancel out of this process, select the 'X' in the upper right corner. Once the record is Saved, it can not be un-done.
- Planned Start Date/Planned End Date - The proposed Start and End Dates for the Agreement. When the Agreement is initially Saved, the Planned Start and End Dates populate the Actual Start Date and Actual End Date. The Actual dates can be updated when the Agreement goes into effect.
- Actual Start Date/Actual End Date - Initially populated by the Planned Start/End Dates, but should be updated when the Agreement goes into effect. If the Actual Start/End Dates are changed, changing the Planned Start/End Dates does not affect them.
- Type - Traditional or Course Based Independent Study drop-downs are hard-coded in this field. User defined codes can be added to the COD table for ISA.TY and will appear in the drop-down on the Agreements page for use with identifying and managing agreement types.
- Length Type - Long Term or Short Term.
- Evaluation Period
- Unique - The Student has an evaluation pattern different from the Standard School Evaluation periods.
- School Pattern - The IS Evaluation periods follow the standard School policies.
- Notes - Additional Comments. The Notes are visible to Parent, Student, and Teacher Portals so they should not contain confidential information.
Agreement Document options
- English PDF File - This is the Agreement in PDF format and is required to be uploaded and must be a PDF file. The Agreement cannot be digitally signed until there is at least one document uploaded.
- Language(s) - The Agreement document can be uploaded in different languages. Stakeholders sign a specific language version of the Agreement. Confirmation Text for the languages can be configured in District Settings.
Agreement Workflow ↑
Once an Agreement has been created and Signatories assigned, it should be in Draft mode for review. Once the Agreement text is finalized the Status should then be set to Pending. This indicates awaiting signatures. The Signatures can be a hand-signed copy that is scanned and uploaded manually, or Digitally signed if enabled in District Settings. Once the Signatures have been completed by all Signatories, the Status will automatically be changed to Activated.
Once Activated, the only action that can be taken is to Revoke the Agreement, at which point it is no longer editable.
A workflow chart has been provided to help with guidance on the process. Agreement Workflow Chart.
NOTE: Once an Agreement is Pending, Activated or Revoked, the Agreement Documents cannot changed.
The Signatories section is used to manage all Stakeholders who are required to sign the Independent Study Master Agreement. Begin by selecting the Add Signatory button. Enter all stakeholders who will require signatures on this form. Select an Account Type and Account Details which will automatically insert the username into the Name field and the type of account into the Relationship. If a required field is left blank, an error message will display.
Check the box Supervisor Teacher if the signatory record is for the Supervising Teacher.
Selecting an Account
Selecting the Account type has options for selecting from Aeries.net (UGN), Student/Parent (PWA), or None.
When selecting Aeries.NET, the Account Details will display Staff that have an association with the Student either by classes or as a Counselor. The field allows for searching any Staff member that may not be associated with the Student by class but may be required to sign the Agreement. When a search is made, the record will display in the drop-down list temporarily. Select the staff to insert the record into the Account Details field. When the page is reloaded, the list will default again to only associated staff members.
When adding the Parent/Guardian signature, select the Account Type (Parent/Student), then select from the Account Details drop-down to select the appropriate signatory that will be required to sign the Agreement. If no email is found in the drop-down, change the Account Type to None, then proceed to Account Details where the email can be manually entered. Only signatories that have a login account for the Aeries Portal are able to Digitally Sign the agreement.
NOTE: If a Teacher is added that is not associated with the Student they can only sign Manually by uploading the signed document.
Manual Signatures ↑
To manually upload the signature, first select the Signed Language field to identify the language of the agreement that the signatory was given to sign. The Agreement must exist in the Agreement tab for that language in order to identify this language.
Next, populate the Date Signed, then select the Upload Signed Doc button and select the signature file. The allowable file types are listed on the District Settings page.
Deleting a Signatory/Signed Document ↑
Use the delete icon to permanently delete a signatory from the Agreement record. Use this button with caution. If an agreement is in Active status, it can not be deleted.
When deleting a signatory record, a confirm delete message will appear. The User must enter the provided code in order to delete the record, then select Confirm Delete.
Digitally Sign from Portal Account ↑
A signatory can submit the signature from within their portal account as long as they have READ permissions to ISA. The agreement will display with a Please Sign button if a signature has not been submitted (manually or digitally). The button will only be available if the Agreement is in Pending status and the District settings option is enabled.
Upon selecting the Please Sign option, a form will display with the text defined on the District Settings page. The signatory can select the appropriate form in the preferred language. An option to View Agreement PDF is available and should be selected and read prior to submitting the Digital Signature. Check the box "I have reviewed the Agreement PDF, and agree to the above statement".
An additional field will display to enter the Name of the person submitting the digital signature. Enter the name, then select Accept and Sign.
Documents with pending signatures will display on top. All signed documents will be grouped by Language. An option to view the signature is available.
Viewing a Signature ↑
Once a signature has been uploaded either Manually or Digitally, it can be viewed. A View Signature button will display to the right of the Date Signed. If a signature was manually uploaded, the file will be downloaded in order to view the information that was previously uploaded. If the signature was digitally submitted, the page will open displaying the Digital Signature Agreement text, the E-Signature as it was entered by the signatory and the Signed Date.