The District Rules page in Aeries is used to specify certain settings and control certain functions performed within Aeries at the school or district level. The District Rules page can be found at the District or School level on the Navigation Tree under School Info | District Rules. User accounts will need Read permissions to see the District Rules page and Update permissions to be able to make changes to the Rules. Permissions can be given through the Security page under the School Information | District Rules area.
After navigating to School Info | District Rules in the District, the following page will display.
To turn on or turn off a District Rule click on the Change button and check or uncheck the appropriate checkbox. After making any changes click on the Save button to save the changes.
Note: Changes made on this page may not take effect for up to 5 minutes due to caching.
Most of the district rules are stored in either the LOC or DPT tables. Each rule will is outlined below, along with the table and field name when relevant.
- Students must be inactive at last school before enrollment at another school. This rule is used to prevent duplicate enrollment in the district. This option is stored in LOC.R1.
- Use STU.TG to determine if a student is inactive at last school when transferring records. If this rule is turned on, the student does not need a leave record in Attendance before the student can be added at another school, and the status field (STU.TG) will be used instead to determine if the student is inactive. This option is stored in LOC.R5.
- Assign new student ID numbers from district database only, not from school. Student ID numbers can be assigned from the school or district level. With this setting in place, the starting ID number will come from the number specified under school options at the district level, rather than the school. This option is stored in LOC.R2.
- Automatically populate student photograph (STU.BM) with permanent ID (STU.ID). This setting is not relevant when using the PIC table to store student photos. This option is stored in LOC.R22.
- Default Gender Code. This setting specifies the default gender to use when adding new students. Value can be blank to force the user to select a specific gender when adding new students. This option is stored in LOC.R13, and the specified gender value is stored in LOC.GC.
Student Address Rules
- Next School (STU.NS) is the next grade-level, not next matriculation-level. Aeries Software highly recommends that this option be turned on, so that the next school field is used to hold the school the student should go to next year. If it is turned off, the next school field will only be taken into consideration when the student completes the highest grade level at the school. This option is stored in LOC.R11.
- Do Not update Next School (STU.NS) field on address or grade change. This option is stored in LOC.R12.
- Update of Student Next School Field (STU.NS) requires User to have Student Delete permission. This option is stored in LOC.R14.
- Update of School of Residence Field (STU.RS) requires User to have Student Delete permission. This option is stored in LOC.R15.
Other Student Rules
- Link Primary Contacts (STU.FW / STU.MW) from Emergency Contacts form. This option is stored in LOC.R18.
- Display Verification Pass Code (STU.VPC) on Students form - Student Data 2 (STU) tab. This option is stored in LOC.R19.
- Allow Users With Read Permission to STU to View Verification Pass Code (STU.VPC). This option is stored in the DPT table.
- Update inactive student records when changes are made to active copies of that student. If this rule is selected, changes made to active student records will also change inactive records throughout the database including records in an Inactive school. This option is stored in LOC.R23.
- Update student records when changes are made to pre-enrolled copies of that student. If this rule is selected, changes made to the pre-enrolled records will update the active records. The fields must not be locked on the Define Fields to Sync/Lock form in Aeries Client, in the Lock Field in Pre-Enrolled records column. This option is stored in LOC.R25.
- Do NOT Optimize Graduation Status. When this option is selected, the system will not take advantage of the optimization logic that was added to the Aeries Web Version. The Graduation Status Reports will match the reports that Aeries Client Version creates. For more information on the Graduation Status calculation please refer to the following article. This option is stored in the DPT table.
- Use New Career Pathways (CPW) tables instead of old "CTE Pathways (Perkins)" (CTE) table. When this option is selected, a Convert CTE to CPW button will be available. Refer to the Career Pathways documentation for complete details. This option is stored in the DPT table.
- Automatically generate staff IDs. When this option is selected, Staff IDs will be auto-generated based on the highest existing staff ID, rather than requiring the user to specify an ID number. Note: Delete-tagged records are considered when calculating the next highest ID number. This option is stored in the DPT table.
- Allow Transition Grade Reporting Mark Points. When this option is selected a Set Grade-Level Point Defaults button will be available. Users will need Read permission to District Rules and Update permission to the Update Valid Marks security area to use the Set Grade-Level Point Defaults button. Refer to the Grade Reporting Update Valid Marks documentation for complete details. This option is stored in the DPT table.
- Use Advanced Discipline (DIS) Page. This option turns on some additional fields and new features on the Discipline (DIS) page. For additional information, refer to the following article on Advanced Discipline features. This option is stored in the DPT table.
- Transferring a Student requires User to have Student Administer permission. If this option is selected, the Copy One icon will be visible on the District Student Lookup form for users with Admin permissions to the STU table, if the student can be transferred. The Copy One icon will not be visible if the user does not have STU Admin permissions.
Aeries Analytics Rules
- Student Program Codes (STU.SP) to be excluded from the Analytics process. When selected, specific Student Attendance Program (STU.SP) codes will be excluded from Aeries Analytics processing. The selected options are stored in the DPT table.