Attendance is reconciled at the end of each attendance reporting month. The attendance reports are verified and sent to the district office for Principle Apportionment ADA Reporting (P1 and P2). Aeries provides several reports to assist in the monthly attendance reconciliation process. To ensure that attendance is accurately reported, the following practices are recommended:
- Each district establishes attendance procedures and protocol to meet the mandated requirement of monitoring attendance.
- Once schools have reconciled the attendance month (What procedures should be performed to reconcile monthly attendance at the school level?), the Monthly Attendance Report (detail documentation of attendance by teacher), the Monthly Attendance Summary Report (ADA and cumulative YTD calculations), the Gain Loss Report and the Weekly Teacher Reports (if applicable) are sent to the district office.
- Based on established district policy, Independent Study Contracts (with attached work), Attendance Notes Reports, Audit Reports, parent/doctor notes, etc. may also be included with the reconciled attendance month reports that are sent to the district office.
- The district confirms that all documentation is correctly signed and dated.
- The district can verify that the Attendance Audit Report is error free by rerunning it for the school before accepting the Monthly Attendance Summary Report calculations. If errors are on the report, the attendance calculations are inaccurate and will need to be addressed.
The Monthly Attendance Summary Status Report can be run at the district level to determine if schools have run the Monthly Attendance Summary Report and updated YTD calculations for any of the attendance months.
All the reconciliation reports will need to be resubmitted after the attendance errors have been resolved.
The district verifies the ADA calculations for each school and updates the ADA calculations on the spreadsheets that are being used for P1 and P2 reporting.
The attendance month should be locked. The ability to unlock an attendance month should be very limited to select users. Locking the attendance month insures that changes cannot be made unless the attendance month is unlocked by a user with appropriate permissions.
If an attendance month is unlocked, the district should be notified of the pending changes to YTD and expect updated reconciliation reports from the school.
- If attendance changes are made, the school will need to resubmit the monthly reports so that the changes are reflected and ADA is recalculated.
- Since the Monthly Attendance Summary Report is a cumulative report, the YTD will need to be recalculated for each subsequent attendance month to update the calculations on each Monthly Attendance Summary Report.
- If a district does not regularly lock the attendance months, the Monthly Attendance Summary Report can be run at the district level or run at the school level to update the YTD prior to submitting the P1 and P2 reports. Lock the attendance months after each P1 and P2 submission.