The Code Translations tab is utilized to translate your Aeries code values (local codes) to CALPADS code values. The following page will display.
- If the Aeries Codes match the CALPADS Codes, the codes do not need to be translated and will not display on this page.
- Certain values must be translated. Language Fluency, Enrollment Status, Exit Reason, Parent Ed Level, Primary Residence Category and others should be verified before creating extracts.
- Blank Aeries values can be translated to a CALPADS code and Aeries code values can be translated to blanks.
- The Add Default Translations button will add CALPADS translation values to the list of potential translations (this functionality was formally provided by the Update XRF button).
- The Add Local Codes button will add any existing local Aeries values for a Code Set. The button is grayed out until a Code Set is selected from the dropdown.
- Codes that are added to the code table but do not want extracted to CALPADS must be added and translated to a blank on the CALPADS side.
NOTE: Local codes that match the CALPADS codes do not need to be translated and do not need to display on the Code Translation tab. However, the values are available if you want to use them but it is not required. Certain values must be translated.
Administrative Functions ↑
The Administrative Functions, Update USYSGCOD (Fixed codes) Table button can be run to ensure all fixed codes have been added to the CALPADS Code Translations. For more information Administrative Functions
Code Translation Examples ↑
Reporting Language (STU.HL)
Beginning 2023-24 school year, the CALPADS Primary Languages have been changed to 3 character codes and will be required for the CALPADS SELA extract file. Effective 09/19/2023, Aeries will translate any existing 2 character code from (STU.HL) to match the 3 character code on the Translations tab. Districts can add additional translations when necessary by adding the 2 digit code to the COD table, then adding a new language code translation to the XRF Code Translations tab in CALPADS Extracts.
NOTE: Beginning on 09/19/2023 starting in the 2023/2024 school year, the Language codes submitted to CALPADS in the SELA extract will need to be mapped to new 3 character Language codes.
Student Grade (STU.GR)
Below is an example of the Student Grade (STU.GR) Code Set. The Student Grade- STU.GR will automatically translate grade 0 to "KN" and will automatically add the leading zero to grades 1-9. You only need to enter translation values for grades higher than 12 and less than 0.
NOTE: Beginning July 1st 2023 for the 2023/2024 school year, the grade level of TK - Transitional Kindergarten will need to be translated in the CALPADS Code Translations. A warning message will display if the Aeries Transitional Kindergarten grade is not translated to the new CALPADS TK grade.
Language Fluence (STU.LF)
Below is an example of the Language Fluency Code Set. Select Language Fluency from the dropdown. The Aeries Code dropdown on the left of the page will display codes in the COD table for the STU.LF field. The code value is only 1 character; therefore, they must be translated to the CALPADS codes.
Click the on the Add New Record button to add a record or click on the pencil (edit) icon to edit an existing record. Select the Aeries Code on the left that corresponds with the CALPADS Code on the right.
Click on the Save icon.
Enrollment Status (STU.SP)
Below is an example of the Enrollment Status Code Set. Select Enrollment Status from the dropdown. The Aeries Code dropdown on the left of the page will display codes in the COD table for the STU.SP field. Then select the CALPADS Code dropdown on the right side of the page.
Parent Ed Level (CON.ELV)
The Parent Ed Levels will now be extracted from the Code Set CON.ELV instead of STU.PED as of the 2023-24 school year based on the effective date of 9/19/2023. See CALPADS 2023-2024 changes.
Below is an example of Parent Ed Level (CON.ELV). The Aeries Code dropdown on the left of the page will display codes in the COD table for the CON.ELV field. Select the Aeries Code on the left and the corresponding CALPADS Code on the right.
Student Gender (STU.GN)
The Student Gender (STU.GN) field was recently added to the CALPADS Code Translations. This will allow translating Non-binary gender codes in Aeries to the accepted CALPADS code of "X".