The Attendance tab will display the various attendance options. Verify the correct school is selected from the school list on the left hand side of the page.
- # Days Teachers can Back Post Attendance – The number of days prior to today that a teacher is allowed to post attendance.
- # Days Teachers can Forward Post Attendance – The number of days beyond today that a teacher is allowed to post attendance. Note: use zero (0) in both of these fields to limit teachers to just the current day.
- # Days to Display Add & Drops – Students who have been added and dropped from a class will display to the teacher for the specified number of days.
- # Days Teachers Can Back Post Attendance Note - The number of days prior to today that a teacher is allowed to post an attendance note.
- # Days Teachers Can Forward Post Attendance Note - The number of days beyond today that a teacher is allowed to post an attendance note.
- Attendance Codes– These codes are displayed on the Attendance page for teachers to see.
- Unverified Absent (usually ‘A’) – This is the absence code used to mark a student absent by a teacher.
- Tardy (usually ‘T’) – This is the tardy code used to mark a student tardy by a teacher.
- Present (usually ‘P’) – This code is only used when doing Positive Attendance Reporting. When doing Negative Attendance Reporting, this code is not used because choosing the P option on the Attendance page will blank out the current absence code.
- Additional Att Codes 1-5 – This option will display additional attendance codes for teachers to use.
- Allow Mass Apply? - Allow teachers to mass apply only these codes listed with a checkbox in this field.
- Student (STU table) Fields on Attendance Screen – these fields will display next to the students name on the Attendance page. Enter the field code and Description.
Attendance Note Codes to Display on Teacher Attendance Screen for Quick Entry
The Attendance Note Codes to Display on Teacher Attendance for Quick Entry option allows a District to define specific Attendance Note Codes (ATN.CD) to display on the Attendance page in the teacher portal. These codes allow a teacher to be able to do quick data entry of specific attendance information for students.
Clicking on Attendance Note Codes in the heading of the box will navigate to the Update Code Table page for review of the existing Attendance Note Codes. Codes to Display to the Teacher Portal for Quick Entry must be added to the Code table.
Attendance Note Codes (ATN.CD) for Teachers to use for Quick Entry can be added in the provided box. Codes should be entered separated by a comma.
After codes have been defined they will display on the Teacher Portal Attendance page as a column for each code.
Detailed Information on using the Teacher Portal Attendance Note Quick Entry feature can be found in the Teacher Portal Attendance Documentation
Other Attendance Options
- Enable Lunch Count
- This option is only available for Daily Attendance school types.
- Codes must be added to the Code Table for Lunch Type (LNC.TY)
- Disable Attendance if Site Is External (set via AppSettings on your externally facing instance of Aeries Web Version being configured to be "External". This is done by modifying your AppSettings.config file and adding an XML element for "External" with a value of "True". If you do not have an AppSettings.config file on your external Aeries.net server, please contact Aeries Support for assistance. See the example below:
- Take Attendance For Each Period in a Blocked Section (MST.BL) – When this option is On, attendance must be taken for every period of a blocked section. If Off (default), attendance taken in the main period will be applied to all the periods in that section’s block.
- Allow teachers to Override Verified Absences – When this option is On, teachers will be able to override a verified absence code on the attendance screen. Note: This option is not normally advised and can cause attendance auditing complications. To allow teachers to override certain verified absence codes, use the option below instead.
- Only Allow teachers to Override Attendance Codes Listed - When this option is on, teachers will only be able to override attendance codes marked with the "Allow Mass Apply" checkbox enabled even if the code is a verified code. This option should be used instead of "Allow teachers to Override Verified Absences" if you do not want teachers to be able to override certain verified absence codes.
- Teachers can Add & Update Attendance Note – With this option On, teachers can Add and Update attendance notes on the Teacher Attendance page. Appropriate permissions need to be granted for the Portal Group of Teachers for Attendance Notes in Security.
- Teachers can View Attendance Notes Add by Others – With this option On, teachers can view attendance notes added by other users on the Teacher Attendance page. Appropriate permissions need to be granted for the Portal Group of Teachers for Attendance Notes in Security.
- Allow Teachers to Setup Seating Charts Before Attendance is Initialized – With this option on teachers can arrange their seating chart before attendance is initialized.
- Require clicking the 'Attendance Complete' button to complete taking attendance – With this option on teachers will be required to click the 'Attendance Complete' button in order to complete taking attendance. A teacher's attendance is logged once a teacher clicks the 'Attendance Complete' button.
- Lock Teacher Attendance for a class after the teacher clicks the 'Attendance Complete' button – With this option on attendance is locked and considered complete after a teacher clicks on the 'Attendance Complete' button. Changes to student attendance cannot be made by the teacher once the 'Attendance Complete' button has been clicked.
- Custom text for 'Attendance Complete' button – The text of the 'Attendance Complete' button can be customized by each school. The default text for the 'Attendance Complete' button is "All Remaining Students Are Present".
- Allow teachers to take Multi-School Attendance – With this option on teachers will be able to take attendance at other schools within the district where teachers have classes assigned to them.
- Allow teachers to Mass Apply Absence Codes – With this option enabled, teachers can mass apply absence codes to students on the Teacher Attendance page in the Teacher portal. Please refer to the Period Attendance Submission documentation for additional information regarding Mass Applying Absence Codes.
- Allow teachers to Mass Apply Quick Attendance Notes – With this option on teachers can Mass Apply Quick Attendance Notes to students on the Teacher Attendance page in the Teacher portal. Please refer to the Attendance Notes documentation for additional information regarding Mass Applying Quick Attendance Notes.
Positive Attendance Options
- Post Attendance by Month – This option will allow teachers to take attendance on a monthly basis. Teachers can click on the check mark for each day to enter the Present code. It is intended for Independent Study-Type schools and is not normally advised. This option will disable the logging of Attendance Submits. Post by Month is a Daily Attendance Reporting option and only for use with an Elementary with Master Schedule school type.
- Mark Absent if not Present – This option is designed for schools taking attendance by month. Selecting the check box at the top of the date column will submit an Absent code where the Present check box is not selected for all students in the class for that date.
- Enable “Mark All Students Present” button – This option is for Positive attendance schools. When this option is selected, a “Mark All Students Present” button will display on the teacher’s attendance page. When the button is clicked, the Present code will be populated for all students. This option cannot be used with the Attendance by Month option.
- Attendance cannot be posted outside of the following times (leave empty to always allow) – This range of time specifies the absolute times every day when teachers are allowed to update attendance. Outside of the times specified, attendance is read-only.
- Do Not Allow Attendance to be Taken Before or After the Class Period (according to the Bell Schedule in Aeries) – This option will restrict the attendance page to only allow the current period of attendance to be updated. Outside of the start and end times, a period will be read-only for attendance. This option will be disabled in Daily Attendance schools. Note: If this option was never turned On, it will no longer show as an option to select. If it was previously turned On, it will continue to display until deselected and will override the two options listed next.
- Attendance cannot be taken before a period starts – When this option is On, attendance cannot be taken for a period before its start time (according to the Bell Schedule in Aeries).
- Attendance cannot be taken after a period ends – When this option is On, attendance cannot be taken for a period after its end time has occurred (according to the Bell Schedule in Aeries).
- For the ADA Period, limit attendance taking to the following times (leave empty to always allow) - When Attendance Time is selected in the All Day Attendance Management option in School Options, the Start and End Times for when attendance can be taken in the period that meets during a school's ADA time can be entered.
Supplemental Attendance Options
The Security for the Portal Groups of Teachers needs Read and Update permissions to Supplemental Attendance Data Security area.
- # Days Teachers Can Back Post Attendance: – The number of days prior to today that a teacher is allowed to post Supplemental Attendance.
- # Days Teachers Can Forward Post Attendance: – The number of days beyond today that a teacher is allowed to post Supplemental Attendance. Note: Use zero (0) in both of these fields to limit teachers to just the current day.