The form Schedule All Students will attempt to schedule all students into requested classes. The message Using Students Grade Next Year in red indicates students are being scheduled for next year in the current year’s database. Verify the following options prior to running the scheduler.
Grade / Student Sequence
The default for scheduling students is alphabetical, without regard to grade level. To schedule by grade level, select Schedule Low to High or Schedule High to Low. Select Reverse Alpha to schedule backwards alphabetically. To schedule without regard to name, select Randomly.
If Random numbers have not been assigned, the following message will display.
Click the Reassign Random Numbers button to assign numbers to students. The following message will display when the process has completed.
- Schedule Alternates – If an alternate class was added to a student’s course request and a student has a rejected course, the program will attempt to schedule the alternate class.
- Ignore Class Maximums – All students requesting a class will be scheduled regardless of the maximum number of students entered for the section.
- Include Inactive Students – Inactive students will be included when scheduling classes. If scheduling students for next year, students tagged “*” (asterisk) will automatically be included without checking this option.
- Prevent Gaps in Schedule - Will attempt to schedule every student into the tightest period range possible and takes longer to run. Should not be used until the final scheduling run.
- Ignore Group Codes – If certain classes are grouped and flagged with the same team course group code, selecting this option will ignore the team course group code.
- Balance Academic Weight – Uses the CRS.AC (Academic Weight) field to ensure academic classes are balanced across all 4x4 terms. Using this option may result in a higher number of rejects.
- Max Time Per Student – Maximum time the program spends trying to schedule a student. The default time is set at 10 seconds but can be changed.
After selecting the options, click the Schedule All Students button. The scheduler will scan the current Scheduling Master Schedule, saving data about each class and will then scan the student’s current scheduling records counting any pre-scheduled sections. It will then start the actual scheduling process.
As the scheduler runs, it assigns students to sections in the following order:
- Pre-scheduled (locked) are assigned first.
- The scheduler sorts courses requested by frequency of offering. In other words, courses with fewer available sections start at top. Singletons first, then doubletons, then tripletons, etc.
- The scheduler sorts sections by most seats available in a section. The goal is to keep an empty seat in every section.
Additionally, the scheduler gender balances internally and invisibly.
When the scheduling process is complete, a message will display indicating Success. The Scheduling Results will then display.
- Lock All Students' Schedules – will lock students into their currently scheduled classes. This can be used before other mass changes are performed. For example, scheduling is complete except for assigning homerooms. Then add homeroom course requests and students can be scheduled into their homerooms alphabetically.
- Lock All Non-Reject Schedules – will lock students into their currently scheduled classes only. Rejected courses will not be locked.
- Unlock All Students' Schedules – will remove the locks on students' course requests. Unlocking the schedule will allow them to be scheduled again into any section.