Create Course and Staff File
The EOY Course and Staff files must be uploaded to CALPADS in the following order:
- Staff Demographics (SDEM)
- Course Section File (CRSC)
- Student Course Section Completion File (SCSC)
**Note: The files need to be in the File Status of “Posted” before uploading the next file.
Errors must be reviewed and corrected in Aeries with each file. Errors should not be corrected on the CALPADS website or directly in the file.
If errors are not corrected in Aeries, the SDEM file will result in errors in the subsequent files. For an example, if a teacher has an invalid SEID – Statewide Educator Identifier, in the SDEM file, all the subsequent CRSC and SCSC records will be rejected for that teacher.
The data needs to be corrected in Aeries and new files should be uploaded. CRSC and SCSC are Full Replacement files. When you send up new files to CALPADS, the existing records in CALPADS will be deleted automatically and replaced with the new file.
Student Course Section Completion – SCSC File
Course Completions are part of the CALPADS Reporting Requirements for grades 7-12 in traditional schools.
If the school is one of the following school types, the school is permitted but not required to submit course completion records:
- Juvenile Court School
- Division of Juvenile Justice School
- Community Day School
- Continuation School
- Opportunity School
- Independent Study Charter School (Charter schools delivering a majority of their instruction via independent study)
CALPADS only wants to know which courses were completed in the school this year. It is important to use the Aeries Grade Reporting process to populate grades and transfer them to HIS. This also applies to Middle Schools and Jr. Highs. It is not necessary to have Credits populated at the 7-8 grade levels, just the Mark received.
By using the Aeries Grade Reporting process, the system is able to track the Master Schedule Section Number and Staff ID where the Mark was issued. This is important to how CALPADS wants to collect this information
Below are the conditions for a record to be included in the SCSC file:
- Skips schools with school type of Elementary (LOC.E = 1)
- Students must have an SSID (STU.CID)
- Students grade level 7 through 12
- Student must have attendance enrollment during the school year.
Below are the conditions for a transcript (HIS) record to be included in the SCSC file:
- The transcript record must match the current school HIS.ST = LOC.SC or if the student has a Reporting Home School (STU.HS) populated, match the CDS of the Reporting Home School
- From the current school year
- History Marks (HIS.MK) of blank and “X” will be skipped
- History Section (HIS.SE) must match to a valid section in the Master Schedule (MST) and the MST.CN must be a valid course in the CRS file. When Copying Grades to History, the History Section (HIS.SE) and History Staff ID (HIS.SID) will be populated from GRD.
- Transcript records with a valid course record. Course records with CBEDS Course number 6012 will be skipped.
- History Terms (HIS.TE) must be greater than or equal to 0 and less than or equal to 8
Transcript State Terms
The transcript terms (HIS.TE) for each school must be mapped to a valid State Term Code. The State Term Codes are the Academic Terms in the CALPADS Code Set. On the Transcript Definitions form click on the Terms tab. Map the Semester/Term Headings to the State Term Codes. Summer School terms (SS, IS and SP) will not be included in the SCSC file.
If the Grade Reporting process is not used and the Master Schedule Section Number needs to be entered directly into the HIS table,
Click the mouse on the Edit icon to the left of the transcript record.
The following will display. Enter a valid Section number from the Master Schedule. If the section number entered is not a valid section number from the Master Schedule, the record will not be included in the SCSC file.
Dual Enrollment Courses
A Transcript field is available to help with CALPADS reporting of Dual Enrollment courses. The Dual Enrollment Credit School field (HIS.SDE) will be used by the CALPADS extracts to identify the college level courses taken by a student.
This field allows the School Taken (HIS.ST) to be populated with the Community College while the Dual Enrollment Credit School would be populated with the high school of the student at the time of enrollment.
The CALPADS EOY extracts will create virtual "Course Section IDs" in the Course Section File (CRSC) and the Student Course Section Completion File (SCSC).
More information is available: EOY1: How to tag Dual Enrollment Courses?
Note: Transcript records that have identical values for Course, Course Section ID, and Term, will be combined into a single SCSC record as of the 6/22/2018 update. Previously these records would generate a fatal CALPADS error: SCSC0230 - Duplicate SSIDs submitted for the same Course Section (SCSC). The credits from the multiple duplicate records will be totaled and the final grade from the first record will be extracted into a single SCSC record.