State and federal law require that local educational agencies administer a state test of ELP to eligible students in kindergarten (or year one of a two-year kindergarten program, sometimes referred to as "transitional kindergarten") through grade twelve. The California Department of Education (CDE) is transitioning from the CELDT to the ELPAC as the state ELP assessment by 2018. The ELPAC will be aligned with the 2012 California English Language Development Standards, and will be comprised of two separate ELP assessments:
- an initial identification of students as English learners
- an annual summative assessment to measure a student’s progress in learning English and to identify the student's ELP level
- Information about the SA and Initial Assessment (IA) Field Tests is available on the ELPAC Test Administration page.
2017–18 School Year
- Initial Assessment (IA) Field Test Window (for selected LEA): August 28–September 22, 2017
- First Operational Summative Assessment (SA) Administration: February 1–May 31, 2018
2018–19 School Year
- First Operational IA Administration: beginning July 1, 2018
We will update Aeries Web to support the ELPAC as more information becomes available. At this time we are not aware of a need for a Pre-ID file for the ELPAC. We will continue to monitor the ELPAC website and if they do provide a file layout for a Pre-ID file we will add that functionality in the Web version of Aeries. The ELPAC student results will be added to the Import Test Results screen when the file layout becomes available.
To learn more about the ELPAC administration and timeline please review the ELPAC website at English Language Proficiency Assessments for California