The Team/Course Group and Team Number fields can be used to create a group (or "team") of sections. Students will be scheduled into one of the teams. The Team/Course Group (SMS.CG) and Team Number (SMS.TM) fields are displayed on the Scheduling Master Schedule page. Filter Pages by "scheduling master" or navigate to Scheduling Process > Scheduling Master.
Note: the codes for the SMS.CG field can be added to the MST.CG field using the Update Code Table page. The Code Descriptions for the SMS.CG field are populated from the MST.CG field.
To use the Team/Course Group and Team Number fields, assign the same Team/Course Group code to all sections of all courses that are to be divided into teams or groups. In the example, we will have Team/Course Group A with Team Numbers 100 – 102.
Then use the Team Number field to indicate the sections that are to be assigned to each group. For example, use 100 for the first group of sections, 101 for the second group of sections, etc. Using the same example as above, dividing students into three teams, this application would allow the scheduler to determine the team placement for each student.
1. English, Math, Social Studies, and Science are the courses that are to be teamed, with PE and Computers as the non-teamed courses that are taught at the school.
2. Mark all sections of English, Math, Social Studies, and Science with an “A” in the Team/Course Group field in the SMS table.
3. Then, using the Team Number field in the SMS table, mark all sections for the first team with “100”. Mark all sections for the second team with “101”. Mark all sections for the third team with “102”. Remember, you do not have to use 100, 101 and 102. You may use any numbers. But all sections for a team must have the same Team Number!
4. The PE and elective sections in the SMS table have a blank Team/Course Group field and a blank Team Number of 0.
5. When students are scheduled, if a student is scheduled into an English section marked with Team/Course Group “A” and a Team Number of “100”, then that student’s Math, Social Studies, and Science sections will also have a Team/Course Group of "A" and a Team Number of "100" . If a student is scheduled into an English section marked with Team/Course Group “A” and a Team Number of “101”, then that student’s Math, Social Studies, and Science sections will also have a Team/Course Group of "A" and a Team Number of “101”, etc.
6. Since the PE and elective sections are not included in this group of courses, these sections will have a mixture of students from each of the three teams.
REMEMBER: Each Team must have a unique team number.
The same group of students will be scheduled together for English, Math, Social Studies and Science. PE and Computers are not grouped and will take any student. The graph below displays two different colors that indicate possibilities of how students in Team/Course Group A for Teams 100 and 101 could be scheduled.
For example, this is how one student could be scheduled: English (A 100) Period 1 with Jones, Math (A 100) Period 2 with Casey, Social Studies (A 100) Period 3 with Doyle, and Science (A 100) Period 4 with Albert. This student could be scheduled into PE and Computers depending upon seats available.
Mismatched Team Numbers ↑
On the Classes page, when editing a student's schedule, if there are sections selected with the same Team Course Group (MST.CG) but different Team Numbers (MST.TM), a pop-up will display the Team Course Group code and the list of mismatched Team Numbers. Select OK to continue or Cancel.
Note: This is the same pop-up that displays if one or more sections would be overloaded. Both the overloaded message and the Team Number message will display if both are applicable.