The CAASPP Paper-Pencil Test Assignment option allows districts to create a file which assigns students to the proper alternate assessments, special (paper) versions, or High School Science (CAST) test. The data is saved into an Excel spreadsheet provided by CAASPP (California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress). Once populated, this spreadsheet can be imported using TOMS (Test Operations Management System) on the CAASPP site.
The CAASPP Paper-Pencil Test Assignment extract allows records to be limited by a selected date, Special Ed (CSE) students only, or students limited by a Keep/Skip query. Inactive students can also be included.
For the 2017-18 Test Administration the default student test assignments in TOMS are:
- Grades 3 – 8 and 11 – Online Smarter Balanced summative assessments in ELA and Math
- Grades 5, 8, 12 – Online CA Science Test (CAST)
LEA’s will need to indicate which students need to take the California Alternative Assessment (CAA) for ELA, Math and Science, the STS and other Special Versions. They will also need to indicate which students will take the High School Science (CAST) test in 10th or 11th grade. They can do this by importing the CAASPP Paper-Pencil Test Assignment file into TOMS or by updating one student at a time in the TOMS system.
The Student Test Assignments that students may be given are:
- California Alternative Assessment (CAA) for ELA, Math and Science – gr 3-8, and 10-12 (TOMS will verify that these students have an IDEA indicator in CALPADS and a valid primary disability code, or students have a 504 Plan education program code in CALPADS when the file is imported)
- CSA (California Spanish Assessment) – grades 4-12 - the CSA is a new assessment being piloted in Fall 2017.
- HS Science - students in grades 10 and 11 only can be identified to take the CAST test. Students in grades 5, 8 and 12 are assigned the CAST test by default and do not need to be identified.
- Special Versions of:
- Braille – grades 2-11 for STS, Smarter Balanced ELA and Math
- Large Print – grades 2-11 for STS, Smarter Balanced ELA and Math
- Spanish version of Smarter Balanced Math – grades 2-11
NOTE: Only certain LEA’s are approved by CDE to use Braille and Large Print versions of Smarter Balanced tests. Please contact CAASPP for questions on this.
NOTE: The Aeries extract does not populate data in Column B (Test Admin) column.
NOTE: The Aeries extract will not populate data in Column D since only certain LEA's will be participating in the CSA Pilot in Fall 2017. Please contact CAASPP for questions regarding the CSA Pilot.
On the CAASPP Export Files screen enter a date in the Include active settings with a start date on or before this date field. This date will be used to determine if Special Ed students are enrolled in the Special Ed program during the test administration and if Spanish speaking Limited English students have been enrolled in a US School for less than one year.
Include Inactive Students – select this checkbox to include inactive students in the extract.
Limit to Special Ed (CSE) – select this checkbox to limit the students in the extract to only include Special Ed students that have not exited Special Ed prior to the selected date.
Aeries Query – select this button to run a KEEP or SKIP query to limit the students that will be included in the extract. Multiple Student Test Assignment files can be imported into TOMS and KEEP and SKIP queries can be used to limit the students in the extracts. When a KEEP or SKIP query has been run, a red message will display in the navigation tree indicating that the student records are being skipped by a query.
The CAASPP_test_assignment_upload_template_2017-18_v1.xlsx file must be downloaded from the CAASPP website (http://caaspp.org/administration/toms/) and saved on the computer that will create the extract.
NOTE: The CAASPP_test_assignment_upload_template_2017-18_v1.xlsx file must be the original file downloaded from the CAASPP website, with no student information in it.
Once all selections have been made click on the Download File button. A file called CAASPPPaperPencilAssignment20yymmdd.csv will be created (where yymmdd are the year, month and day when the file is created).
Open the file to view the extracted records.
These records need to be copied from the file and pasted into the CAASPP_test_assignment_upload_template_2017-18_v1.xlsx template file. Copy the results by right-clicking in the upper left corner of the results and selecting Copy.
Open up the CAASPP_test_assignment_upload_template_2017-18_v1.xlsx template file provided by CAASPP, right-click in the A2 cell of the template worksheet and select Paste. Be sure to leave the first row intact. This row must not be modified.
The template file will now have the provided header record followed by the student records. Save the file keeping it in the csv format. Import this file into TOMS.
The extract uses the following guidelines when creating the extract:
- Column C (Alternate – CAA for ELA, Math or Science) - includes students in grades 3-8, 10-12 where the student has an active Special Ed (CSE) record with a disability code and where CSE.PA2 = 30, CSE.PA3 = 30 or CSE.PA4 = 30
- Column D (CSA Pilot) – this field is not populated for the 2017-18 (Pilot) Administration.
- (Braille) – includes students in grades 2-11 with a PPT.B record in Test Settings (STS) that is active as of the selected date
- (Large Print) – includes students in grades 2-11 with a PPT.LP record in Test Settings (STS) that is active as of the selected date
- (Spanish for SBAC Math) – includes students in grades 2-11 with a PPT.SM record in Test Settings (STS) that is active as of the selected date
Column F (HS Science) - includes students in grades 10 and 11 where the student has a HSS.Y or HSS.N record in Test Settings (STS) that is active as of the selected date.
- HSS.Y records will populate this column with a 'Y'
- HSS.N records will populate this column with a 'N'
- 10th and 11th grade students without any HSS.Y or HSS.N record will not populate this column
- students in all other grade levels will not populate this column.
NOTE: The Aeries extract does not populate data in Column B (Test Admin) or in column D (CSA Pilot).