Setting up and/or modifying Absence Codes will occur at the beginning of each school year. Once the school year begins these codes MUST not be changed. The codes are usually setup by an individual from the District Office. If setting up or modifying the absence codes, it is highly suggested that the District Office verify ALL required options for each absence code. Navigate to the Update Absence Code page.
Use the Add and Update buttons to enter all Absence Codes.
NOTE: Prior to setting up or modifying any absence codes, districts must verify the current State of California compliance regulations, including acceptable absence reason codes for ADA reporting.
To add an absence code, click on the Add button. Type a one-character code in the Code field. Tab to the Description field, enter the description of the type of absence code. Tab again to the Abbreviation field, enter a three-character abbreviation of the code.
When adding a new absence code, the options and Type of Attendance must be populated. The options and Type of Attendance are detailed below.
NOTE: If any changes are made to the Absence Code (ABS) table, then the Update Attendance History function will need to be run to update the Attendance History table.
Update Absence Code Options
The Attendance options need to be reviewed for all absence codes entered.
- Count for ADA - select if the code should count for average daily attendance (ADA)
- Show on Letters - select if the code should print on letters for attendance
- Show on Grades - select if the code should print on report cards
- Send to Dialer - select if the code should be included in the dialer systems. This option does not apply for Districts using the LOOP Communication system. The Configure Attendance Notifications page is a specific page in the Aeries web version for the Loop system
- Print on Reports - select if the code should print on report
- Suspension – This option will be used in reports and extracts to denote the absence code that is a Suspension. Two suspension codes should be added for both period and daily schools with the following settings:
Suspension – In School:
Flag with Count for ADA option
Flag with Suspension option
Flag with Verified Not Absent for the Type of Attendance
In School Suspensions will not be included in the Truancy count
Suspension – Out of School:
Do NOT flagged with Count for ADA option
Flag with Suspension option
Flag with Unexcused Absent Verified for the Attendance Type
Out of School Suspensions will not be included in the Truancy count
Partial Day > 30 Minutes Truant It is important that all districts have an absence code to represent Partial Day Truancies. This needs to represent ONLY tardies greater than 30 minutes or unexcused early withdrawals.
It would normally be used for students who are more than 30 minutes late for school (or class if period attendance). Students arriving late to school within 30 minutes of the start of school are simply considered "Tardy" no matter the reason. It is only after 30 minutes that the "Tardy" becomes "Tardy Truant" (aka Partial Day Truant).
This option will count towards the Attendance History Truancy count which is used for CALPADS Attendance extracts.
- Temporarily Not Enrolled - used for students temporarily not enrolled, examples are for incarceration or emergency foster placement. This flag will allow schools to mark students that have left the school for a short period of time as “not enrolled” for those days. Schools will not need to inactivate the student and risk losing their classes, nor will they need to use an unverified absence code for those days which may inaccurately categorize the student as truant. The number of days the student is enrolled will be reduced by the number of Temporarily Not Enrolled attendance codes he has. Note: Will be used with the CALPADS STAS Extract. Full support system-wide for this option will be added over the coming months.
- Independent Study – Use for the Incomplete and Complete Independent Study codes:
- Blank is Not Independent Study
- I - Incomplete Independent Study
- C – Complete Independent Study
Note: Will be used with the CALPADS STAS Extract. Full support system-wide for this option will be added over the coming months.
Type of Absences
The Type of Attendance options need to be selected for all absence codes entered. The first 3 options can only have one absence code defined. The remaining 5 options can have multiple codes defined with different codes and descriptions.
- Unverified Absence (Usually code “A”): this option is used for “Unverified” absences. Only one absence code can be set as Unverified Absence. "Unverified" absences need to be changed to an "Unexcused" absence code before Aeries will include it in the Truancy counts. The Mass Change Attendance Codes function can be used to change “Unverified” absences to “Unexcused” absences.
Unverified Absences, usually code “A”, should be changed to an “Unexcused Absent, Verified”, usually code “U”, on a regular basis.
It is recommended to change the “Unverified” absences to “Unexcused” every month before running the Attendance Summary reports.
Not changing your Unverified Absences to Unexcused may cause other attendance accounting issues and we highly recommend that all districts perform this action regularly.
- Tardy to Class (Usually code “T”): this option is used for tardies that are less than 30 minutes to class. Only one absence code can be set as Tardy to Class. Students do receive ADA for normal tardies, it is only after 30 minutes that the "Tardy" becomes "Tardy Truant" (aka Partial Day Truant). Another code should be added for tardies after 30 minutes and flagged with the Partial Day option and the type of Unexcused Tardy - Verified.
- Present in Class (Usually code “P”): this option is needed for positive attendance schools. Only one absence code can be set as Present in Class. The Count for ADA option should also be flagged.
- Excused Absence – Verified: this option is used for absence codes that are valid excused absences. Ed Code Section 48205 details the accepted excused absences. Multiple absence codes with different codes and descriptions can be set as Excused Absence - Verified.
- Unexcused Absence – Verified: this option is used for absence codes that are unexcused absences. Multiple absence codes with different codes and descriptions can be set as Unexcused Absence - Verified. Absence codes having this option will count towards the Attendance History Truancy count which is used for CALPADS Attendance extracts.
- Excused Tardy – Verified
- Unexcused Tardy – Verified: used with the Partial Day > 30 minutes option. This option will count towards the Attendance History Truancy count which is used for CALPADS Attendance extracts.
- Verified NOT Absent – examples include In-house suspensions (see page 4) and in school activities. Independent Study also uses this option. See Independent Study Documentation for further information.