The Copy Many Student Records page will first display the Info section, which gives some basic instructions on how to use this page.
If the Copy Many Student Records process has previously been run on this database, a message will display at the top of the page, as shown below. This is informational only and does not prevent the process from being run again.
In the Schools section, select the Database Group and Year for the database from which you need to copy students (i.e., the source database). The Database Group and Year selections come from the connections file set up by the system administrator. Once a source database has been selected, the list of all schools in that database will be displayed, along with student counts by grade level.
Student records can be copied from multiple schools in the source database. There is an All/None button at the bottom to quickly select or deselect all schools in the list. There is also a Select Grade Levels to Limit Schools option that allows you to quickly select schools that fall within a certain grade range. For example, if you are copying students from middle schools, you might choose 6-8.
Related Tables to Copy
In the Tables section, the following form will display:
This form shows tables related to the STU table or IDN table. The available tables will default into either the Tables Not Copied list or the Tables Copied list based on the whether the current database has records in that table.
Tables can be moved between the two lists in several ways:
- Double-click a table name to move it to the opposite list
- Select a table name and click the button with the arrows to move to the opposite list
- Click Remove All Tables to move all tables to the Tables Not Copied list
- Click Add All Tables to move all tables to the Tables Copied list
In the Options section, various options for running the Copy Many Student Records process can be configured.
- Add 1 to student's grade level - The copied students will have their Grade Level (STU.GR) and Next Grade (STU.NG) incremented by 1.
- Assign new Permanent IDs to avoid conflicts - If this option is selected, the copied students will get a new permanent ID. Otherwise, they will keep the same permanent ID used in the source database. However, if their existing permanent ID in the source database is already in use by another student in the current database, the student will get a new permanent ID anyway.
- Reassign Permanent IDs starting with - This option is used in conjunction with the option above. If the option is checked and a number is entered in the box, the process will attempt to assign new permanent IDs starting with this number. Otherwise, new permanent IDs will be assigned the usual way, by getting the next ID for the school or district (depending on the District Rule). It is recommended only to enter a value in this box if there is a contiguous block of ID numbers that do not yet exist in the current database that can accommodate all or at least most of the students to be copied.
- Tag students "*" (asterisk) for "pre-enrolled for next year" - The copied students will all have their Statug Tag (STU.TG) set to *, indicating the students are pre-enrolled for next year.
- Change New Students School Mobility to New Grade – The copied students will have School Mobility (STU.SM) set to their Grade Level (STU.GR). When this option is selected, an additional option will open that allows you to set an Enter Date.
- Set School Enter Date – If this option is checked and a date is selected, the copied students will have this date populated in their Enter Date (STU.ED).
- Change New Students District Mobility to New Grade – The copied students will have District Mobility (STU.DM) set to their Grade Level (STU.GR). When this option is selected, an additional option will open that allows you to set an Enter Date.
- Set District Enter Date – If this option is checked and a date is selected, the copied students will have this date populated in their District Enter Date (STU.DD).
- Add 1 to student's grade for School/District Mobility - This option is used in conjunction with the options to Change New Students School/District Mobility to New Grade. The copied students will have School Mobility (STU.SM) and/or District Mobility (STU.DD) set to their Grade Level (STU.GR) plus 1. Note: This option is not available when the option to Add 1 to student's grade level is selected.
- Only copy students with this school as their next school - Students will only be copied if their Next School (STU.NS) is set to the currently logged in school.
- Grade Levels to Copy - Select all of the grade levels from which students should be copied from the selected school(s) in the source database. There is an All/None button to quickly toggle all the grade level options on or off.
- Copy Active Students Only - Only active students (blank value in STU.TG) will be copied
- Copy Active and Pre-Enrolled - Active students and pre-enrolled students (with * in STU.TG) will be copied
- Copy All (Include Inactives) - All students will be copied regardless of STU.TG, as long as they meet the criteria set by the other Student Selection Options on this page.
Run the Process
After all options have been selected, click the Copy Students button. A confirmation message will display. Click OK to continue, or click Cancel to stop the process.
The following message will display. You do not need to stay on this page, and no additional information will appear on the page. The process runs in the background, and the email confirmation will contain the results.
When the process is complete, you will receive an email like the following:
The email will provide a .csv file attachment that includes a log of each student that was copied, as well as any errors that occurred. Please review this file to ensure there were no errors. The file is more easily reviewed in a spreadsheet application like Excel, where filters can be applied.
- It is possible for a STU record to be copied but for an error to occur when copying related tables. Therefore, please review the error log carefully to identify cases where a STU record was successfully copied but related tables are incomplete.
- The Copy Many Student Records process must be able to run to completion before running it again. Once the Copy Students button is clicked and the process begins, the Copy Students button will be hidden. If you or another user load the page again before the process has completed, the following message will display:
Once the process completes you will receive a completion email, and the page will be available again.
- It is advisable to avoid adding new students to Aeries while the Copy Many Student Records process is running. Because of the rapid process of adding new students, there is a small chance that the Copy Many Student Records process will attempt to assign the same new permanent ID to a student as a student being manually added at the same time. The likelihood is slim, but this situation is best avoided altogether if possible.
Technical Notes - Database Connections
When copying related records for each student, the Copy Many Student Records process accesses the current database and the source database in the same SQL statement. This creates a couple of requirements that must be met in order for the process to run correctly.
- If the source database is on a different SQL Server than the current database, then a Linked Server must be created in the current SQL Server instance if it is not already. The Linked Server name must match the server name specified in the AeriesNetConnections config file for the source database. Configuring Linked Servers is outside the scope of Aeries support. Click here for Microsoft documentation on Linked Servers. This content is not under the control of Aeries Software.
- The SQL Server login used to connect to the current database, which is configured in the AeriesNetConnections config file, must be valid to connect to the source database. This is true whether the source database is on the same or a different SQL Server.
When selecting a Database Group and Year, a connection test will be performed. If there is a problem, one of the following error messages will display.