The State Seal of Biliteracy node is under School Info | Imports and Exports in the navigation. The State Seal of Biliteracy is only available at the school level of Aeries. At this time it is not available at the District level.
The State Seal of Biliteracy can be processed in School Aeries after the 1st term grades have been populated in the transcripts for the 12th grade students. Normally this is after the Fall semester grades have been copied to Course History (HIS).
The selections made on the Set Up form should be reviewed and updated to meet the needs of your school. The options are stored in the District Options (DPT) table so once they are selected for one school they will be pre-set for all schools. Users at other school sites can change these options, so they should be reviewed for accuracy prior to processing the students. For each criterion verify that the correct selections have been made and make any necessary adjustments by clicking on the individual code or description to toggle it either to checked or un-checked.
- English Study Areas from Grad Req - select the subject area(s) that comprise the English graduation requirement
- Foreign Language AP Exams (including ASL) - select the AP exam(s) that would fulfill the proficiency in one or more languages other than English requirement. Per CDE American Sign Language is considered to be a language other than English.
- SAT II Foreign Language Exams - select the SAT II exam(s) that would fulfill the proficiency in one or more languages other than English requirement.
- Foreign Language Department - select the course department code(s) that indicate a course is in the foreign language department. Select the Foreign Language Department code before selecting the Foreign Language Courses. The course list will be limited by the courses within the selected department code(s).
- Foreign Language Courses - select the course(s) that will be used to determine if the student successfully completed a four-year high school course of study in a foreign language. Select the Foreign Language Department code(s) before selecting the courses since the course list will limit to the courses within the selected departments.
- Include Inactive Foreign Language Courses - select this option to display inactive courses in the list of Foreign Language Courses. This option should be selected if there are any foreign language courses in the students' transcript records that are no longer offered, but these inactive courses still meet the State Seal of Biliteracy requirements. The inactive courses are designated with an * before the course id. Please note that selecting or deselecting this option will automatically save all options on the page, but we highly recommend clicking on the Save Selections button to re-save all settings before processing the student records.
- CAASPP ELA or successor test - Standard Met - enter the information for the CAASPP ELA test administered in grade 11, or any future successor test that CDE may approve. For the CAASPP ELA the Test ID is SBAC, Part is English LangArts/Liter, Value is 3 and TST.PL should be selected. Only the 11th grade test scores will be evaluated per the State Seal of Biliteracy requirements.
- Include Inactive Students - select this option to include students that graduated early and are no longer enrolled.
The Save Selections button will save all of the options on the Set Up tab.
The Process Students button will evaluate the 12th grade students' transcripts (HIS), current classes (SEC), 11th grade CAASPP ELA test score (TST), ELPAC** scores (TST), and AP and SAT II College Test Scores (CTS) to determine which students will potentially qualify or do qualify for the State Seal of Biliteracy. The system will also use the Graduation Status (HSG) table to determine if they have fulfilled the English credits, so information about updating the High School Graduation Status table and a link to the Graduation/College Readiness Dashboard is at the bottom of the Set Up screen.
As the State Seal of Biliteracy processes, the Report Tags (RTG) table is updated with a record for each student. The Potentially Qualified students will have a Report Tag (RTG.TG) value of "RQs" and the Qualified students will have a Report Tag (RTG.TG) value of "QF".
NOTE: ** Per communication from the California Dept. of Ed, beginning with the 2018-19 school year only the ELPAC scores will be evaluated to determine if a student whose primary language is not English has demonstrated English Language Proficiency.
Selections on the Set Up form should be reviewed for accuracy prior to processing or re-processing the students.