The California Education Code (EC) specifies that beginning with the graduating class of 2003-04 and each subsequent year, pupils must meet the following minimum graduation requirements for mathematics:
- Complete at least two courses in mathematics in grades nine through twelve.
- One or a combination of these courses must meet or exceed the rigor of the content standards for Algebra I.
Additionally, The Civil Rights Data Collection also includes counts for the completion of Algebra I courses. Setting up the Algebra I Requirements in non-California districts will allow current Aeries processes to determine the completion counts. For Texas the credits would normally be 1.0 for a full year course and 0.5 for a term course in the below examples.
Two fields were added to the Courses form to help monitor that a Student has completed the Algebra 1 Requirement. These two fields are the Meets Alg I Requirement (CRS.ALR) field and the Algebra I Credits Required (CRS.ALC) field.
Edit Course information
There are three configurations that can be used to indicate Algebra I credit completion
1. One Year-long Course - One course with a Term of 'Y' that has 10 Course credits. In this scenario the Meets Algebra I Requirement box is checked and the Algebra I Credits Required would be 10.
2. Multiple Courses of Algebra I - Two or more Courses with distinct Course ID's each with the same Term Course credits. In this scenario the Course Content Group (CRS.CCG) field is populated with a custom tag on each Course that meets the Algebra I requirement. This ties the Courses together and each Course in the series is tagged as Meets Algebra I Requirement and the Alg I Crd Required would be 10 for each Course. The values for the Course Content Group (CRS.CCG) field are entered on the Update Code Table page for CRS.CCG.
This example uses two Semester Courses.
The following query can be run on the Course table to verify the Algebra Requirements Met field (CRS.ALR), the Algebra 1 Credits Required field (CRS.ALC) and the Course Content Group code (CRS.CCG).
LIST CRS CN CO ALR ALC CCG
3. Use a Capstone Course - A single Semester Course that indicates completion of the Algebra I requirement. The Meets Algebra I Requirement box indicates this is the final course of a Series to complete Algebra I. The Alg I Crd Required needs to match the Course Credits. In this scenario we are only looking at a single Capstone course to determine completion, even if the Credits earned do not total 10. The credits would be determined by the District.
The Algebra I Requirement can be printed on the Transcript. The Optional Areas tab on the Transcript Definitions form has a selection box to Include Algebra 1 Requirements on the Transcripts.
If the H.S. Grad Status and Include Algebra 1 Requirement options are selected, the Transcript prints whether or not the Algebra I Requirement has been met depending on whether or not enough Credits have been completed.
Below is an example of a student who has taken and passed a Year-long Course in 9th grade that was flagged as an Algebra I Requirement course.
If the student has not met the Algebra I Requirement it prints Algebra I Requirement NOT Met.
Determining Which Students have Met the Algebra I Requirement ↑
The Testing Pass Status (TPS) table includes the the Algebra I flags that identify which Students have completed the Algebra I requirement (TPS.ALG) and the Grade level (TPS.AGR) when they completed it .
The following query can be used to list the Students with their Algebra I Pass Status and Grade Level when they passed it:
LIST STU TPS STU.SC STU.ID STU.LN STU.FN STU.GR TPS.ALG TPS.AGR BY STU.LN STU.FN STU.ID
- Graduation Status
- Transcripts (the Include Algebra I Req in Transcript Definitions - Optional Areas needs to be selected)
- Graduation Status List by Student
- Graduation Status Report by Student
- Graduation Status Letter to Parents
- Graduation Requirements