The TSDS Special Education Language Acquisition (SELA) Submission is one of the Core Collection Submissions required by the Texas Education Agency (TEA). LEAs must collect and report information about the language acquisition of children eight years of age or younger who are deaf or hard of hearing, based on DISABILITY-TYPE codes 02-Deaf-Blindness (Deaf-Blind) or 06-Hearing/Auditory Impairment (Auditory Impairment). SELA is only reported if there are eligible students as of the 2020-2021 school year. The submission is not required if there are no eligible students.
Aeries provides tools to extract the appropriate data for the SELA Submission from the district's Student Information System (SIS) database. The extract programs create the files that can be submitted to TEA. For SELA Submission Timelines, see TWEDS Data Submission Timelines - Special Education Language Acquisition.
For a complete list of extract rules and edits, see TSDS Web-Enabled Data Standards (TWEDS).
The following permissions must be set in Security for users who will be managing TSDS submissions.
|Aeries Page||Action||Table/Program Area||User Permissions Needed|
|Texas State Reporting||Run extracts||Other - State Reporting||Admin|
Additionally, users will need appropriate permission to view or update the individual tables that are used for maintaining data fields used in Texas state reporting.
Most state reporting data elements are directly correlated to a field on an Aeries page. Each correlation is documented so you know exactly where the data is maintained in Aeries.
- The SELA - Field Mapping and Rules documentation provides the specific SELA elements organized by interchange and complex type.
- Additionally, the PEIMS/TSDS Field Mappings by Page documentation provides each page in Aeries where Texas state reporting information (including TSDS and PEIMS elements) can be found.
- Criteria for inclusion in extracts:
- Demographics page - Birthdate (STU.BD) - Student must be 8 or younger by September 1 of the current school year
- Special Education page, General tab - Entry Date and Exit Date (CSE.ED and CSE.XD) - Student must be active in Special Education on date of extract (i.e., XD is null, or extract date is within CSE.ED and CSE.XD).
- Special Education page, Disabilities History tab - Primary Disability field (CSE.DI) - Student's primary disability must correspond to codes 02 or 06 in TSDS Code Table DC142. Note that the Primary Disability field displays code values from Code Table C053. The applicable C053 values (03, 05) must be mapped to correct DC142 codes (06, 02), as described below.
- Special Education page, Instructional Setting tab - Instructional Setting (CHS.INS), Start Date (CSH.SD) and End Date (CSH.ED) field (CSE.DI) - For the StudentProgram interchange, this information must be provided.
- Special Education page, Language Acquisition tab - For the StudentProgram interchange:
- All fields must be entered for Language Acquisition Services and Hearing Amplification, including Start Date. The End Date must be blank or after extract date.
- Any local codes used for SELA fields must be added from Update Code Table. The local codes will need to be translated to TSDS codes, described below.
School Info > Imports and Exports > Texas State Reporting
Before creating extracts, verify the settings on the Options, Code Translations, and Schools tabs on the Texas State Reporting page. The Snapshot Date is not used for the SELA submission.
Expand the Options tab on the Texas State Reporting page to set various options before creating extracts.
Code Translations Tab
From the Code Translations tab on the Texas State Reporting page, certain fields in Aeries can have custom local codes and descriptions mapped to the required TSDS codes.
For the SELA Submission, the following Code Set should be reviewed and updated if needed:
- Special Ed Disability Types (CSE.D12)
- Click Add New Record.
- In the Aeries (left) column, select the Code to be translated. The list reflects the Primary Disabilities values that can be selected on the Special Education page.
- In the TSDS/PEIMS (right) column, select the TSDS/PEIMS Code that will be mapped to the selected code. The list reflects values in the DC142 table.
- For SELA, only codes that map to DC142 Codes 02 and 06 need to be added.
- Click the Save icon.
- To update an existing mapping, click the Pencil icon. Make changes, and then click the Save icon.
Or, click the Cancel icon to revert to the original values.
From the Schools tab on the Texas State Reporting page you can select the schools to include when extracting data.
From the SELA tab on the Texas State Reporting page you can create the XML extract files for the SELA Submission.
- The files required for the SELA Submission are automatically selected. You can modify the selections.
- Click Create Selected SELA Files.
Once created, the XML files are listed individually in the File Download section and can be downloaded individually by clicking the Download icon.
The default name for the individual files is District_Campus_Collection_TimeStamp_Interchange.xml, where:
- District is the six-digit county-district number
- Campus is the three-digit campus ID (or 000 if district wide)
- Collection is the nine-character collection (ending school year & submission)
- TimeStamp is the 12-digit date-time-stamp when the interchange was created (YYYYMMDDHHMM)
- Interchange is the name of the interchange created