Change in 2015-2016 CASEMIS File Layout
The CASEMIS file layout as of the 2015-16 school year no longer contains the State Test Participation fields (fields A-57 through A-62) in the CASEMIS Student Data (Table A) file. These fields are now Filler fields. Since the CSE Special Ed Participation in State Wide Assessment fields are still necessary for varies Aeries reports (such as the CAASPP Student Test Assignment Extract) and may need to be hand-entered, we will process the CASEMIS import in the following manner:
- If the CASEMIS Students (Table A) file has blanks or no value in the A-57 – A-62 filler fields, then the CSE Participation fields will not be changed (so hand-entered data will not be removed).
- If the CASEMIS Students (Table A) file has non-blank values in the A-57 – A-62 filler fields, then the CSE Participation fields will be updated with the values in the CASEMIS file.
NOTE: The CASEMIS Students (tableA) file and Services (tableB) file must be the ASCII text (.csv) formatted file with field headers as defined in the CASEMIS Technical Assistance Guide. For a detailed list of the fields and headers please refer to this article: CASEMIS Tables and Fields
The CASEMIS Import process will use the Student Data file and Student Services file from the location defined in the CASEMIS Import page. It is important to remember to refresh these locations with new files before the next scheduled run, otherwise the same files will be processed over and over again.
Before processing the student records in either file, the system will validate the file headers for missing CASEMIS columns or mis-named CASEMIS columns. See the CASEMIS Tables and Fields article for the correct column headers. If the column headers for the key fields (LAST_NAME, FIRST_NAME, STUDENT_ID or SSID) for the Students table are incorrect processing will stop and a completion email will be sent listing the incorrect headers. The headers will need to be corrected before the files can be imported.
If other column headers are incorrect, the files will be imported but the fields with incorrect field headers will not be updated with the new information. An Errors file will be generated listing the fields that are not updated for each record.
When the Student Data file is processed the system will use the SSID data in the file to match with a student in the Aeries system. If the CASEMIS Student Data file record does not have an SSID, then it will attempt to match on Student Last Name, Student First Name and Birthdate.
- Once a match is found the student’s Special Ed (CSE) record is added/updated with the data in the CASEMIS Student Data file and the Last Updated (CSE.LU) field is updated with the date the record processed. The student’s identifying information is also added to the CASEMIS_TypeA_ImportedRecords.csv report.
- If no match can be made, then the student’s identifying information is added to the CASEMIS_TypeA_UnmatchedRecords.csv report.
- If duplicate records exist in the CASEMIS Student Data file (i.e., two records with the same SSID) then neither record will be imported into the Aeries system. Identifying information for both records will be added to the CASEMIS_TypeA_Duplicates.csv report.
When the Student Services Data file is processed the system will utilize the CASEMIS Student Data file and Aeries to match the Student Services records to the students in the Aeries system.
- Once a match is found the student’s Special Ed Services (CSV) records for the year you are processing (normally this will be the current year) will be deleted and the services from the CASEMIS Student Services data file will be added. The Services Start Date (CSV.DT) field is updated with either the first day of school in the District Calendar (for School 0) or with 7/1 of the school year the database is in (normally this will be be current school year) if the district calendar is not set up. The record’s identifying information is also added to the CASEMIS_TypeB_ImportedRecords.csv report.
- If no match can be made, then the record’s identifying information is added to the CASEMIS_TypeB_UnmatchedRecords.csv report.
NOTE: The Student Data file secondary match on student name and birthdate will attempt to match the 15-character CASEMIS Student Last Name and Student First Name fields with the first 15 characters of the Aeries Student Last Name and Student First Name fields.
NOTE: Support has been added during the import process to accept several common date formats for the date fields. The following formats are valid: "yyyymmdd", "yyyy-mm-dd", "mm/dd/yyyy", and "m/d/yyyy".