The Test Settings form will allow schools to enter the embedded and non-embedded test settings (designated supports and accommodations) for the students that need modifications to the Smarter Balanced Online Summative Assessments (SBAC), identify students that will be taking California Alternate Assessment (CAA) tests, the California Science (CAST) test in 10th or 11th grade, the California Spanish Assessment (CSA) test, or that need to take a paper pencil version of the assessments (Braille or Large Print). Once entered, these test settings are used in both the CAASPP Student Accommodations (Test Settings) export file and the CAASPP Paper-Pencil Test Assignment export file. The CAASPP Export Files screen allows users to create both of these export files which can then be imported into TOMS (Test Operations Management System).
The Test Settings page can be found under the Student Data | Test Scores node on the navigation tree. Only users with permissions to the Test Settings page will see the node on the navigation tree. The Active Test Settings page can also be found as a tab in the Special Education page.
Test Settings records can be added in both the school level and district level. When adding records in the Test Settings List (all) page, enter the Start Date of the student’s test setting. If the test modification has an end date, enter that value. The codes are hard-coded and can either be typed into the Code field or selected from the drop-down. When adding records using the Active Test Settings page the system will maintain the Start Date and End Date based on the day the record is added/updated.
CAASPP Student Accommodations (Test Settings)
The CAASPP Student Accommodations (Test Settings) option in the CAASPP Extract Files page allows the user to extract data from the Test Settings (STS) table which can then be copied into the CA_Upload_Stu_Accom_Template_2018-2019_v1.xlsx provided by CAASPP. Once the template file has been populated with the Test Settings data it can be uploaded into TOMS to update the students’ test settings/ accommodations/ modifications for the Smarter Balanced Online Summative Assessments.
On the CAASPP Export Files page enter a date in the Include active settings with a start date on or before this date field. The date is used to determine which Test Settings records will be included in the extract. To be included in the extract the Test Settings Start Date (STS.SD) must be less than or equal to the entered date and the Test Settings End Date (STS.ED) must either be greater than the entered date or must be Null. If you wish to limit the extracted records to certain students click on the Aeries QUERY button and run a query to limit to the desired students. Checkboxes to Include Inactive Students and to Limit to Special Ed are also available to further limit the students in the extract file.
CAASPP Paper-Pencil Test Assignment File
The CAASPP Paper-Pencil Test Assignment option allows districts to create a file which assigns students to the proper alternate assessments, special (paper) versions, the High School Science (CAST) test, or the California Spanish Assessment (CSA) test. The data is saved into an Excel spreadsheet which can then be copied into the CAASPP_test_assignment_upload_template_2018-19_v1.xlsx provided by CAASPP (California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress). Once populated, this spreadsheet can be imported using TOMS (Test Operations Management System) on the CAASPP site.
The CAASPP Paper-Pencil Test Assignment extract allows records to be limited by a selected date, Special Ed (CSE) students only, or students limited by a Keep/Skip query. Inactive students can also be included.
For the 2018-19 Test Administration the default student test assignments in TOMS are:
- Grades 3 – 8 and 11 – Online Smarter Balanced summative assessments in ELA and Math
- Grades 5, 8, and once between grades 10-12 – Online CA Science Test (CAST)
LEA’s will need to indicate which students need to take the California Alternative Assessment (CAA) for ELA, Math and Science, the CSA and other Special Versions. They will also need to indicate which students will take the High School Science (CAST) test in 10th or 11th grade. They can do this by importing the CAASPP Paper-Pencil Test Assignment file into TOMS or by updating one student at a time in the TOMS system.
The Student Test Assignments that students may be given are:
- California Alternative Assessment (CAA) for ELA, Math and Science – gr 3-8, and 10-12 (TOMS will verify that these students have an IDEA indicator in CALPADS and a valid primary disability code, or students have a 504 Plan education program code in CALPADS when the file is imported)
- CSA (California Spanish Assessment) – grades 3-12 - the CSA is a new optional assessment
- HS Science - students in grades 10 and 11 only can be identified to take the CAST test. Students in grades 5 and 8 and 12th grade students that have not already taken the test in 10th or 11th grade are assigned the CAST test by default and do not need to be identified.
- Special Versions of:
- Braille – grades 3-11 for Smarter Balanced ELA and Math
- Large Print – grades 3-11 for Smarter Balanced ELA and Math
NOTE: Only certain LEA’s are approved by CDE to use Braille and Large Print versions of Smarter Balanced tests. Please contact CAASPP for questions on this.
NOTE: The Aeries extract will not populate data in Column B (Test Admin) column. The Aeries extract will also not populate data in Column E since the CSA Field Test completed in October.
The extract uses the following guidelines when creating the extract:
- Column C (Alternate – CAA for ELA, Math or Science) - includes students in grades 3-8, 10-12 where the student has an active Special Ed (CSE) record with a disability code and where CSE.PA2 = 30, CSE.PA3 = 30 or CSE.PA4 = 30
- Column D (HS Science) - includes students in grades 10 and 11 where the student has a HSS.Y or HSS.N record in Test Settings (STS) that is active as of the selected date.
- HSS.Y records will populate this column with a 'Y'
- HSS.N records will populate this column with a 'N'
- 10th and 11th grade students without any HSS.Y or HSS.N record will not populate this column
- students in all other grade levels will not populate this column.
- Column E (CSA Field Test) – this field is not populated for the 2018-19 Spring Testing Administration.
- Column F (CSA Operational) - includes students in grades 3 - 12
- CSAO.Y records will populate this column with a 'Y'
- CSAO.N records will populate this column with a 'N'
- Column G
- (Braille) – includes students in grades 3-11 with a PPT.B record in Test Settings (STS) that is active as of the selected date
- (Large Print) – includes students in grades 3-11 with a PPT.LP record in Test Settings (STS) that is active as of the selected date
NOTE: The Aeries extract does not populate data in Column B (Test Admin) column or in Column E (CSA Field Test)
Print Smarter Balanced Cards
The Print Print Smart Balanced Cards (SBAC) – CAASPP report is available from View All Reports in both the District and School Aeries Web versions. The report will print out a card for every student. The cards include the students’ first name and their state student id. An option has been added to also print the Student’s Last Name on the cards.
NOTE: The report will print out 10 cards per page, each card is 3.5” wide x 2” high.
For more detailed information regarding the Test Settings page, CAASPP Extract Files or printing the Smarter Balanced Cards, please refer to the articles in this folder: Test Settings and CAASPP Export Files