The New Year Rollover Processes tab contains the reports and processes necessary to run the New Year Rollover. The Processes tab is divided into sections to guide the flow of steps necessary to perform the Rollover.
This section displays the last run date and time for several Maintenance Functions that should be run before starting the Rollover. Dates more than 7 days in the past will be red. No action can be taken on these maintenance functions from the New Year Rollover page; they must be run by an Aeries database administrator using the Administrative Functions page.
Note: The AdminCS section will NOT be displayed to Hosted customers because database maintenance is provided by our Hosted services support team.
The Pre-Rollover Audit Listing is run on the current year database. This report needs to be run prior to starting the Rollover so that it can be used to locate and correct errors in student records that have potential rollover issues.
Clicking on the Pre-Rollover Audit Listing button will display the report options in a new tab. Select the appropriate options and click on the Run Report button.
The following report will be generated. This report can be used to locate errors in student records with potential rollover issues.
Refer to the Pre-Rollover Audit Listing article for more information on this report.
The Table Record Counts (Pre) report displays a record count for every table in the Aeries database and should be run on the current year database after all records have been cleaned up and before the Rollover process has been initiated. Once Rollover has completed it should also be run on the New Year database. The two reports can then be compared to determine if the appropriate amount of records were copied to the new year. Clicking on the Table Record Counts (Pre) button will immediately run the report since there are no options to select.
The following report will be generated. Save this report or print it out for later reference.
As each report is run a message will display on the Processes tab with the last run date and time.
After the data in the current year database have been cleaned up and the Pre-Rollover reports have been run, the Rollover process can begin. We highly recommend that a test run of the rollover is performed on a copy of the current year database and results are verified before it is run against the live database.
Below are important points to remember:
- The New Year Rollover process requires that the website is accessed via HTTPS
- Only Admin user types can perform the Rollover.
- The New Year Database must be created in SQL Server Management Studio with the year incremented by 1 and using the same Database Suffix as the current year database. Also the current SQLModel.sql needs to be run against the New Year Database in order to create the Aeries Table Structure.
- If there are Table/Field differences between the current year and new year databases the Rollover will stop and a notification email is generated. This usually indicates the latest updates have not been run on both databases. The Table involved is also noted in the new year's LOG.
- The Admin user needs to populate the DBO User Name and DBO Password to perform the Rollover.
- The New Year Rollover can only be performed when the New Year Database has no records. If the New Year database already has records, a warning message will display:
- All the schools will be rolled to the New Year database with one run of the New Year Rollover. Therefore, the Settings tab must be correct for all schools prior to Rollover.
To perform the New Year Rollover, enter the DBO User Name and DBO Password into the appropriate fields.
The Bypass Updating Scheduled Processes (only if testing the rollover) option allows users to test the Rollover without it updating the AeriesReporting database to the new year. Select this option when testing the Rollover. When running the Rollover on live data this option should be de-selected.
Keep Google Integration active in the current year? This will allow the current year Google Integration to remain active for Districts that use it during Summer School. Disabled if 'Bypass Updating Scheduled Processes' is selected.
- Leave GAFE_ApiPrivateKeyFileName (DPT) record alone
- Do NOT Roll ScheduledProcesses Like 'Google%'
- Disable GAFE_ApiPrivateKeyFileName (DPT) record in the current year
- Roll ScheduledProcesses
NOTE: When the Google Integration is kept active for the current year during the Rollover, the Google Apps Integration page in the New Year will show an active connection also. This is because the Google Sync in the Reporting server is active, but it is syncing the current year only. The instructions to make the Integration active in the New Year can be found here Managing Google Integration Settings during Rollover
Keep Livingtree syncing active in the current year? This option is disabled if 'Bypass Updating Scheduled Processes' is selected.
- Leave EdBacker DPT record alone
- Do NOT Roll ScheduledProcesses Like 'EdBacker%' OR 'LivingTree%'
- UPDATE DPT SET CD = 'False' WHERE CD = 'True' AND NM LIKE 'Edbacker'
- Roll ScheduledProcesses
The Lockout All Users option will apply a lockout Security Restriction for the duration of the Rollover. Note: This will prevent non-admin users from logging in to Aeries, but it will NOT terminate sessions for users who are already logged in. After the Rollover, the DPT settings will revert to pre-rollover settings.
Click the Start Rollover button. A message will display asking if you want to Start the New Year Rollover. Click Yes to continue.
The screen will refresh with the DBO information blanked out, and two messages will be displayed. One message will indicate that an email will be sent when the New Year Rollover has completed, and the other message will display the Start time of the Rollover.
The New Year Rollover in Aeries Web Version has been tested to complete in significantly less time than running the process in Aeries Client Version. An email will be sent to the Admin once the Rollover has completed, and the Processes screen will display the New Year Rollover completion date and time.
The Rollover Process
This section describes what actually occurs while the New Year Rollover process is running. Unlike the Aeries Client, all the steps described below are encompassed in a single Rollover process rather than multiple interactive steps.
- The School Supplemental (SUP) and District Supplemental (DSD) SQL definitions are copied.
- SQL definitions for student-related Custom Tables listed in the CTD table are copied. This also works if the CTD record represents a View in SQL. For Custom Tables, the primary key, foreign key, indexes, check constraints, triggers, and MS_Description extended properties will all be copied if they exist.
- Data in non-student-related tables (e.g., LOC, TCH, CRS, STF, COD and many others) are copied.
- Some tables (e.g., DRA, REQ, STR, GBB, TFL, SFL, MST) have a specific Rollover Setting that will determine how that table is processed or if its records are copied at all.
- Scheduling totals will be cleared in the TCH and MST tables. These totals can be recomputed after the Rollover by running the Master Schedule report in the new year database. Scheduling totals for SMS will be recomputed automatically during the Rollover.
NOTE: Non-student-related custom tables will NOT be copied at all. Both the table definitions and the data must be copied separately by the database administrator if these tables are needed in the new year database.
- Data in the IDN table and all tables related to IDN (except STU) are copied.
NOTE: Data in custom tables that have a foreign key relationship to IDN will be copied automatically. These must be defined in CTD. If the table should not be copied forward it should be dropped, or it should have the foreign key constraint to IDN removed and should not be defined in CTD at all.
- Student (STU) records and STU-related records (e.g., SSD, SUP) are rolled over based on the Rollover Settings and in the following sequence:
- All pre-enrolled students (status tag *) are copied forward to the school in which they are pre-enrolled regardless of the Next School (STU.NS) value and made active, keeping their school-based Student Number (STU.SN), unless the Copy Pre-Enrolled Students from This School to their Next School is checked. Therefore, it is critical to manage pre-enrolled records effectively prior to initiating the rollover.
- All active students that are NOT moving to a different school are copied forward to their same school as long as their Next Grade (STU.NG) is valid for that school, keeping their school-based Student Number (STU.SN).
NOTE: If a student has multiple active records (e.g., concurrent enrollment), it is possible for multiple records to be copied forward to different schools.
- All active students that are moving to a different school are copied to their Next School (STU.NS) as long as their Next Grade (STU.NG) is valid for that school. A student will NOT be copied to the same school more than once! If STU.NS is blank, they will be copied into their current school.
- All students that have NOT yet been copied to any school are copied to the Inactive School unless the Bypass the Copy to Inactive School Process option was selected.
NOTE: Students with Next Grade (STU.NG) = 13 are never copied (not even to the Inactive School). Students with Next Grade greater than the District High Grade (e.g., 8th grade completers in a K-8 district) also are not copied. However, students in the special grades 14-18 are exceptions and copy regardless of the District High Grade.
NOTE: Data in custom tables that have a foreign key relationship to STU will be copied automatically after each STU record is copied.
- If the option to Copy Custom SQL Modules was selected, those modules will be copied next. (the New Year Rollover Settings article has more detailed information about this option).
- Security is copied. This includes Aeries security (e.g., UGN, UGA, UGP, etc.) and SQL Server security (database users and roles).
- If the 'Use Staff-Section Association instead of Teacher Numbers(TN) with SMS sections' is checked in Scheduling Setup, during Rollover the School Options to 'Use Staff in Sections' will be enabled in the new year.
There are two reports that should be run after the New Year Rollover has completed. These reports should be run from the outgoing current year database, not from the new year database. The reports will automatically look at the new year database as needed. This way, the reports can be generated even before the new year database has been added to the Aeries connections config file.
The Print Missing Students Report will compare the new year database to the current year database and create a report of all students who are not in the new year database. Clicking the Missing Students Report button will display the report options in a new tab. Select the appropriate options and click the Run Report button.
If all students rolled from the current year database to the New Year database, then the report should have 0 students listed. Any students that do display on the report will need to be reviewed and appropriate steps will need to be taken to add these students to the New Year database where necessary.
NOTE: If the Bypass the Copy to Inactive School Process option was selected when running the New Year Rollover, the Missing Students Report will likely have many students listed.
Below is an example of the report where several students did not roll from the current year database to the New Year database.
The Table Record Counts (Post) report displays a record count for every table in the New Year database. This report should be run so that the record counts can be compared to the Table Record Counts (Pre) report to determine if the appropriate amount of records were copied to the new year. Clicking on the Table Records Counts (Post) button will immediately run the report since there are no options to select. The Server and Database information is printed in the header to help identify which database the report was run against.
As each report is run a message will display on the Processes tab with the last run date and time.
Be sure to update your .config files. See Configure Aeries Database Connection
3rd Party Integration Considerations
Considerations need to be made on how rollover and summer school could impact 3rd party software with which Aeries integrates.
Clever, one of our Partners in Education, has provided the following link to documentation on managing school-year rollover with Clever: