The New Year Rollover is now available in the Aeries Web Version. The AdminCS version is no longer available; however, this new method drastically streamlines the rollover process in that all schools are rolled in one run of the rollover process, and it has been tested to work about 10 times faster than the AdminCS version.
NOTE: The Admin CS version of New Year Cycle has been disabled starting with the 2018-2019 school year.
|IMPORTANT: For Aeries administrators accustomed to the Client version of the New Year Rollover, there are some fundamental differences that must be understood when transitioning to the Rollover in the Aeries Web Version.|
The New Year Rollover page is in the Navigation menu under School Info | Functions. There are 2 tabs on the New Year Rollover page: Settings and Processes. The Settings tab includes District Wide, Inactive School and School Based settings, with the option to push one school's settings to selected schools. The School Based settings will display while selecting the District School Code (0) to facilitate easily setting up the defaults from the district and pushing the School Based settings to other schools. The District Wide settings will not display unless viewing the District School Code. All the settings are stored in the Rollover Settings (ROL) table that will roll forward to the new year. The Processes tab includes three categories: Pre-Rollover, Rollover, and Post-Rollover. The Pre-Rollover section includes reports to be run prior to the rollover: Pre-Rollover Audit Listing, and Table Record Counts (Pre). The Rollover section includes details on how to setup the rollover, and a button to Start Rollover. The Post-Rollover section includes reports to be run upon completion of the rollover: Missing Students Report, and Table Record Counts (Post).
The New Year Rollover page can be found under School Info | Functions in the Navigation Menu. Security to access this page can be granted under the School Information | New Year Rollover area of the Permissions page.
User accounts with Read access to the New Year Rollover can view the Settings tab and run the reports in the Processes tab.
User accounts with Update access to the New Year Rollover can view and update the information in the Settings tab and also push the settings to other schools. These users can also run the reports in the Processes tab.
Only Admin accounts have full access to the New Year Rollover. Admins can view and edit the Settings tab and push the settings to other schools, run the reports in the Processes tab, and initiate the Rollover.
Note: For Hosted customers, only Aeries support staff can edit the Settings and initiate the Rollover.
For more information on how to set up security please refer to the Aeries Security documentation.
New Year Rollover Requirements
The New Year Rollover in Aeries Web Version is initiated from the current year database and rolled from the current year database into the new year database. It is very important that the most recent updates of both the Aeries Web Version and the Aeries Client Version are utilized. Prior to running the New Year Rollover process, the new year database needs to be created in SQL Server Management Studio. The new year database must have the same Database Suffix as the current year database with the year increased by one (for example DST18000EagleUSD), and the SQLModel from the most recent Aeries Client Version update needs to be run against it to create the table structure.
The New Year Rollover process requires the website to be accessed via HTTPS. If HTTPS is not used a message will display in the Rollover section of the Processes tab indicating that the rollover must be run under HTTPS.
The administrator performing the rollover will also need to enter the DBO User Name and DBO Password to begin the rollover.
NOTE: This elevated SQL login is necessary because the rollover entails copying more than just data (e.g., security and some table definitions). At minimum, the login must be a member of the db_owner database role on both the current and new year databases and have the ALTER ANY LOGIN server-level permission. Using a login that is a member of the sysadmin fixed server role is one way to guarantee that permissions are adequate.
Prior to initiating the New Year Rollover, verification should be performed to ensure that the data will be copied over correctly.
Current Year Database Verification includes:
- Run the utilities under Maintenance Functions in AdminCS on the current year database to help clean up the database prior to rollover – Repair Indexes and Relationships, Force Cascading DEL Tags, Database Cleanup, Fix ENR Records.
- Review all CALPADS requirements for exiting students. (Refer to Aeries documentation topics including: Reporting Graduating Students to CALPADS, Reporting Matriculating Students to CALPADS, and CALPADS Student Withdrawal Data Population Guide). Students that have End of Year Status (STU.EOY) populated may also need to have the STU.ENS populated. Please refer to the CALPADS Student Withdrawal Data Population Guide for more information.
NOTE: The STU.ENS does not affect rollover; it is populated for CALPADS reporting.
- Verify School Options Low and High Grade Ranges (LOC.LO and LOC.HI) for all schools and the district. Districts should not have the district high grade, stored in LOC.HI, be above 12 even if they are using higher grade levels for Special Ed, Adult Ed or other students. The District high grade of 12 ensures that the graduating seniors are dropped during the rollover. Please note that the only reason a school's high grade, stored in LOC.HI, should ever be above 12, is if the low grade is also above 12 (i.e., Adult Ed with grade-range of 15-15). Students with grade levels higher than 13 will roll with the same grade level during the rollover if the Do Not Bump Grade option is selected for that grade level; otherwise, they will roll with the grade level in the Next Grade (STU.NG) field.
- Verify ALL schools have set up their pre-enrolled students with the correct next grade and that there is an asterisk (*) in the STU.TG field.
- Consider any changes that will need to be made to tables that are district owned such as the code table, course data, etc.
- New schools need to be added to the current school year database, including any grade level changes.
- Verify the Next School (STU.NS) field is populated with the school the students will be attending next year, even if the students are returning to the same school. The STU.NS can be populated with either the current school code if they are returning to the same school in the New Year database, the Next School code that they will be attending if they are moving to a different school within the district, or with the Inactive School code if they are leaving the district.
NOTE: the STU.NS field will determine which school the student will roll into during rollover, except for pre-enrolled students, who will roll into the school where the pre-enrolled record is created.
- Verify that the Next Grade (STU.NG) field is increased by one from the current Grade field to ensure that the student will roll over properly (unless the student has been retained, is pre-enrolled, etc.).
- If an elementary student will be assigned a teacher for the upcoming school year, verify the Next Teacher (STU.NT) field. If the student will be assigned a track for the upcoming school year, verify the Next Track (STU.NTR) field.
- If any of the following options will be used during the rollover, then the values stored in these fields will need to be verified:
|Copy Next School of Residence to School of Residence||verify STU.NRS|
|Copy Next Inter/Intra-District to Inter/Intra-District||verify STU.NIT and STU.NTD|
|Copy Next Program (s) to Program(s)||verify STU.NSP, STU.NP1, STU.NP2|
|Copy Next Grid Code to Grid Code||verify STU.NGC|
- Check Cumulative Credits for seniors and determine if they will need to be retained and still held in the 12th grade when rollover is complete.
- Print the Pre-Rollover Audit Listing and the Table Record Counts (Pre) from the Pre-Rollover section of the Processes tab. Make any corrections necessary to minimize the errors on the Audit Listing.
New Year Database Set Up includes:
- From SQL Server Management Studio create a new database for next year with the same suffix as the current year and increase the year by one. For example, DST18000EagleUSD.
- Run the latest SQLMODEL.sql script (located in the directory where UPDATECS.exe was extracted to) against the new database to create the table structure. This procedure MUST be done prior to rollover.
- Do NOT login to the new year database in AdminCS prior to running the Rollover in Web. Using the latest SQLMODEL.sql file is sufficient to create all the tables and other objects in the new year database.
NOTE:SQLMODEL.SQL will make all available tables in the new year database ID-based tables, which is a prerequisite for using the Rollover in Web.