Aeries has created two new Course Level codes to replace code 40 (College Level) to support the new CALPADS "Course Non Standard Instructional Level" codes.
- 23 - College Credit Only- A college-level, college credit bearing course in which a student receives only college credit upon successful completion. Here are some examples:
- Courses taken voluntarily by the student with no affiliation to the district or teacher
- Taught only by a college professor
- Student only gets college credit (no high school credit)
- Cannot count towards graduation requirements or GPA calculations but MUST be in HIS so it gets reported to CALPADS
- Course WILL count towards the student's College-Career Indicator (CCI) status.
- 24 - Dual Credit- A college-level, college credit bearing course in which a student receives high school credit and may also receive college credit upon successful completion of any other specific requirements.
- Articulated course (meaning they have an agreement between community college and teacher) taught by a high school teacher or college professor
- Course received college credit AND high school credit
- Student has no choice if this counts for graduation or displays on transcript just like a normal course
How to enter a College Credit course on a student's transcript
Step 1 - Create two sets of College Credit Courses in the Course (CRS) table. One set should be titled as Dual Credit and one set as College Credit Only. At a minimum, you should have one for each of the specific CALPADS State Course Codes that are specific to College courses.
Course Level 23, option on TDF to either just hide Credits on transcript, and leave course and college on transcript. Or to hide all courses with CL=23 completely.
Course level 24 - Indicates a dual enrollment college credit course, which means the student earns high school credit, and possibly college credit for the same course.
1) The College Credit Hours (HIS.CH) field is NOT a CALPADS-reportable field. As long as it is greater than zero, it triggers the CALPADS extracts to make sure the CL = 24 and if there is a different College State Course Code (CRS.CC3) populated, it extracts that instead of the value of the regular State Course Code field (CRS.C3). That's the way specific students in a section will be tagged as receiving College Credits and the rest may not. Note School of Dual Enrollment (HIS.SDE) MUST be filled out along with HIS.CH field in order to extract properly to CALPADS.
Since it is a trigger only, it is entirely up to the district to determine what value should be populated there. Some may just put the number of credits the college will award for the course (usually 3-4).